Thursday 22 September 2011

Exposition




Hi all you music junkies out there!

My name is Lacey and I am a composer for voice, keyboard, and violin. I am a first year PhD student in English at the University of Waterloo and composing is one of the things I love to do in my so-called “spare” time (of which any graduate student knows in fact ceases to exist =). I received my A.R.C.T. (Associate of the Royal Conservatory of Music) Piano Performer’s diploma in the summer of 2006 and have in the meantime, unfortunately, neglected my aspirations to work towards my Grade 10 RCM violin certificate. I also have a minor in music (and in French) from Wilfrid Laurier University where I completed my undergraduate studies over a year ago now. Although I'd love to someday write a full-blown symphony or concerto, I primarily write for piano and voice. Composing has the same effect on me that some say yoga classes have on them: it’s profoundly calming and cathartic.
For someone who isn’t extremely tech-savvy, I am happy to be beginning this blog for a class. Otherwise, the realm of cyberspace would be forever foreign and daunting. Thanks, Professor A.M.!! And really, now I know how simple and fun blogging can be =)
So, now a little bit about my music . . . I once had a music teacher at UW describe it as “poppy folk,” meaning a combination of pop and folk music. I think that’s a pretty awesome definition, but really where and how do you begin defining new music? Of course, it’s difficult, especially when you’re no longer conforming to classical models of composition.
A few days back, a catchy tune entered into my head. Despite my demanding studies, I took a break to entertain this melody and sure enough a song has come of it, or at least the beginning. Some of the lyrics have also come to me. The way I write is rather strange . . . I tend to compose the words and accompaniment simultaneously. Talk about word painting ;) But it all usually begins with some kind of emotion, arising, of course, from some sort of experience. More on this later, however, as my books are calling my name and I have yet to eat breakfast!!
So long =)

P.S. I tried inserting a picture using the image icon, but was unsuccessful. The browse button seems to be broken as I do not see any files to upload. Any assistance is gladly welcome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment