Friday 14 October 2011

Getting in the Groove

So, while this blog is primarily devoted to (my) music, I have failed to mention the fact that I  recently joined two dance classes at the university: lyrical and jazzilates. Okay, so you probably haven't the slightest clue what any of these kinds of dance are. Neither did I really before I began trying them out. Lyrical is sooooooo beautiful!! It's a combination of jazz, ballet, and contemporary dance forms. Even though lyrical dance appears very slow and graceful, the moves are surprisingly intricate. I love the emotion that goes into and comes through this dance type. A lot of the girls in my class are pro while at times I'm merely stumbling along! Prior to this class, I haven't taken any lyrical courses-- only highland and ballet. This week we were videotaped (yikes!) for the campus rec run-down, a newsletter which is sent out to all students, but usually ends up in their spam (supposedly) =( Our instructor created a short routine to Sara Bareilles' "Gravity" and next week we will learn yet another . . . talk about fast-paced!!!

Jazzilates, on the other hand, is a unique fusion of jazz and pilates. How did I get myself into this class? A few fellow graduate students roped me into attending. I admit that from the beginning I was a skeptic, wondering how such different forms of dance (pilates -- on mats on the floor, and jazz -- an updeat form of dance) could be united, but I have to say, I've been pleasantly surprised; it's amazing!! For an upcoming dance recital, we are preparing a dance routine to Maroon 5's very popular song "Moves Like Jagger." There is a lot of hip movement going on =) But two of the coolest moves I've learned in this class thus far are the vegas walk and a highly addictive wrist roll and snap with a simultaneous swaying of the hips. Because of its central focus on stretching and strength, this class has taught me that there's one part of my body that I definitely need to begin exercising more: my back. At present, it is as stiff as a board and although my posture is often poor (tall people can't avoid slouching at times!!), I really have tremendous difficulties bending it forwards or backwards =/

No comments:

Post a Comment