Sunday 2 October 2011

Modulation

The Downside of Living on Your Own:
1.       Bills come almost too regularly.
2.       Meals don’t magically appear.
3.       There’s no one else to leave the dishes for.
4.       Mom’s no longer the maid.
5.       Dad’s no longer the bank.
(Just kidding about these last two ;)
So, welcome to the world of independence . . . working, cooking, and cleaning all have to be done! For those of you still living at home, just a word of advice: if you’ve got it good, don’t take it for granted =)
Okay, so after doing a couple loads of laundry, emptying the garbages, washing the floors and cleaning out the fridge, I was grateful to sit down to continue reading Lawrence Hill’s Book of Negroes for one of my two classes this term. A big book indeed . . . it’s near 500 pages long!!! Professor W.S. actually said that this book is more famous than any of Margaret Atwood’s . . . can you believe it? I’m still in awe about that, especially since Atwood is one of the few Canadian authors if not the only Canadian author most people can name off the top of their head (which for us CanLit scholars is, yes, absolutely pathetic!).
In terms of music, I recently discovered that guitarist Kent Aardse here (yes, I’m mentioning your FULL name!), a fellow 1st year PhD student, has appeared on CBC and toured across Canada with his band Endangered Ape during the summer of 2009. I am in total awe!!! He too is writing a blog about his music, so you can visit it at: http://ananaloguemusicianinadigitalworld.wordpress.com/
Back to my music, I have changed my mind (yes, again) and decided to take up writing a song I began a couple of months back. I actually almost forgot about it, but am glad I didn’t. I love that this piece has an introduction as sometimes I start right into the song itself and then I have to, of course, go back and come up with introductory material that will work. So, what is the theme for this particular piece? Love. Okay, I know what you’re thinking. Just what we need is another love song. So, let’s say it’s about lost love. That’s more accurate, I think. Now you’re probably thinking that there are about just as many songs about heartbreak. You may be right, but this song is different. My music is different. You will hear it eventually as I will post the final product on my blog. Is it in a minor key? Take a guess. Am I being superstitious or suspenseful? Wasn't it Margaret Atwood who said that talking about a work-in-progress is a jinx to the writer?

No comments:

Post a Comment